July 28, 2018

Composition Series: 1. Evaluating My Own Work


The process of evaluating my own work begins at the moment my idea arrives and continues with what is more commonly regarded as critique of composition.



This means that I am analyzing, not judging. Especially in the beginning of an idea I want to take care to invite all ideas and possibilities and not cramp myself with criticism.

Before anything has landed in a sketchbook my thoughts having been buzzing, sometimes for weeks connecting past to present experience. Then thoughts will zigzag between defining a concept I want to bring into physical form, techniques that I currently use or can potentially learn, and which materials will be instrumental in carrying the message. If a deadline is involved, I consider the time required to complete each idea. I also consider costs in terms of money and involvement. After all, not every idea is worth the investment. Not every idea is a good match to make for where I am now in my life.  Some ideas involve research or education to bring forth.

Once the work has taken form, there are two main junctures when I feel the need to pause for an in-depth critique.  The first is when I have finally created something and brought it into reality, and inevitably, it doesn’t quite meet the vision in my head.
The second is when it feels as though the work is nearing completion. Of course I am always making choices and tweaking along the way. 

I keep the following note on the design wall in my studio which guides the process. I will be exploring each in more detail in future posts.













No comments: